Thursday, June 21, 2007

REVISED EXPLANATION OF WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE'RE ABOUT

How the TRANSFORMING FOR SICK KIDS Initiative came about, our ultimate vision and purpose can be explained in three ways:

I chose to raise money for the Hospital for Sick Kids because 15 years ago, when I was 10 years old, I was implicated in a bike accident that resulted with me having to undergo neurosurgery done by Dr. James T. Rutka to remove a blood clot on the right side of my head, resulting in 40+ stitches that can still be seen today. Had I not been under the excellent care of Dr. Rutka and the SickKids nursing staff, I would not be here amongst you.

I have LOVE and have a childhood PASSION for Transformers (the cartoon and line of toys). Since my birthday is coming up on July 4th, and I already feel materially fulfilled, the idea struck me that instead of receiving gifts why not give something? I arrived to the conclusion that I will be raising money in conjunction with the upcoming release of the Transformers live-action movie on July 3rd.

After having grown up in the neighbourhood of Leslieville/Riverside in all of my soon to be 25 years, I can confidently and proudly say that I LOVE MY NEIGHBOURHOOD. Having seen it change and grow throughout the years, I have a vested interest in seeing my neighbourhood and surrounding community prosper. So far I have procured a prize package from the majority of the restaurants, bars and lounges in my neighbourhood.

OUR DESIRED OUTCOME:


To raise awareness for the SickKids Foundation and what they do in terms of raising money to support pediatric medical research
Since I haven’t undertaken anything of this magnitude or have any prior experience in terms of not-for-profit fundraising, I have set a target of $5000 as a modest amount.

THE PRIZE PACKAGES SO FAR:

We will be raising money through a raffle format, ticket prices have been set at $20 each, and ALL PROCEEDS will go directly to the SickKids Foundation.
So far I have put some of my personal Transformers memorabilia and other items as part of prize packages. I have 3 main prize packages that are still works in progress as follows:

ULTIMATE Transformers Geek - I have donated a part of my personal memorabilia to start off this prize package. I have secured HASBRO CANADA as the premier sponsor (money and toys, which will soon be revealed) as well as retailer sponsors such as One Million Comix and Hairy Tarantula.

Taste of Leslieville/Riverside District - this prize package of gift certificates and gift baskets made possible by the fine sponsors of the Leslieville/Riverside District neighbourhoods. So far we have The Burger Shoppe, Soma Restaurant & Lounge, The Comrade, Babycake Cupcakes by Kubo Radio, Leslieville Cheese Market, Cajun Corner, Barrio, and Hello Toast
"City Lifestyle" – I bought and donated a 2 GB iPod nano for this prize package, as well as secured sponsorship from Far Coast Coffee company (located one block west of Bay/Bloor, a Coca Cola owned company), a $20 gift certificate to any Loblaws companies, a lovely table runner from furniture store Leigh & James, as well as a $20 gift certificate to Chapters-Indigo.

I am currently in talks with the fine folks at the Second City to donate gift certificates to their wickedly funny improv shows. Furthermore, I have talked to the people the Scotiabank Famous Players Theatre for movie gift certificates and they will be letting us know what their generous contribution will be shortly.

WHAT WE WILL BE DOING TO PROMOTE THIS INITIATIVE:

We plan on camping out for 3 days and 3 nights (from June 30th – July 3rd) outside of the Scotiabank Theatre (formerly Paramount) to be first in line for the 12:01 AM showing of Transformers at the high-traffic intersection of John & Richmond Streets. We are still pending permission by the City of Toronto to get the official go ahead.

We have also created a FACEBOOK (a social networking site) group aptly named, TRANSFORMING FOR SICK KIDS, which can be found through a simple search or at http://ryerson.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2360543937. ANYONE AND EVERYONE is welcome and encouraged to join. Currently we have 207 members in this group and it continues to grow.

To get more widespread publicity, myself and my team are planning to go outside of 102.1 The Edge radio station, located on Yonge and Shuter Streets with huge signs indicating our cause in order to get free publicity on the Dean Blundell Show at 6 AM on either June 25th or 26th (don’t worry Sophie, I’ll be at work on time ;)


HOW YOU CAN HELP:


The truth of the matter is although I’m not financially able to make a significant monetary donation to fund their pediatric medical research as I’m about to be fresh out of school. I am however, able to muster every bit of determination, wit, charm, intelligence and social skills within me to inspire others, create awareness for this cause and to ultimately make something HAPPEN.

If you feel you would like to buy a raffle ticket or make a donation of any amount you want, I would be greatly appreciative of your generous contribution to this cause.

As we are an official SickKids Fundraising event, we are also able to issue tax receipts for any donations $10 or more in order to have your donation be tax deductible

So far, I have raised $1055, which is $3955 from our ultimate goal of $5000. To contribute and donate to this cause, myself and my team have pledge forms ready.

Plus, for every person who donates in person, with your permission I’d like to take a picture with you and acknowledge your generous donation of any amount, which will be posted on the TRANSFORMING FOR SICK KIDS Blog and Facebook Group.

No comments: