Saturday, June 9, 2007

Keepin' on truckin'


Above is a picture with me and Sal - the owner of Baldini, Leslieville's quaint Italian restaurant - presenting me with a gift certificate of $25

Sooo.. it's been another interesting and productive day while exploring the neighbourhood and looking for more sponsors.

I talked to a couple more restaurant/store owners today and here are the people I had secured gift certificates with for the "Taste of Leslieville/Riverside" prize package I'm assembling:

  • Karen at the Cajun Corner agreed immediately, I didn't really have to go into my whole "pitch." I appreciated her being so warm, friendly and open to supporting this Initiative. I'll be picking up the gift basket she's donating her on Wed, June 13th. I told her I was headed to Leslieville Cheese market next and her specific words were to say, "Karen sent me over to guilt you into helping us out." ... lol.
  • Next up was Michael Simpson over at Leslieville Cheese Market, and he was receptive. I gave him my proposal and business card and explained to him further what I was doing. He agreed (I think it might have been the guilt tripping that worked.. thanks Karen!)
  • Walked over to The Burger Shoppe to meet with Mustafa and pick up the gift certificate. He was out of town in New York City. Oh well, he must have forgot. I'll meet with him later this week.
  • Saw Peter on the street, the owner of Soma Restaurant & Lounge to discuss the gift certificate. I think it might have been the awkward approach. He didn't seem to happy, I guess it was a bad day for him. He told me to see him sometime on weekdays.
  • Met with Sal, the owner Baldini - the only Italian restaurant in Leslieville/Riverside. He read the proposal from the last time I met with him and he presented the gift certificate to me right there and then. The picture shows my gratitude to him.
  • Next up was Hello Toast, this cozy little restaurant known for its brunches. I had talked to the owner, Tony Barnaby and he agreed on the spot to provide a gift certificate that entailed a free brunch for two. He told me to pick up the gift certificate with his business partner (wife?) Linda tomorrow.
Pretty productive stroll around the neighbourhood. Secured 3 more sponsors to make this a truly great prize package that is representative of the majority of bars/restaurants in my neighbourhood. I'm feeling pretty good.

No comments: