Saturday, June 2, 2007

DESCRIPTION OF WHAT TRANSFORMING FOR SICK KIDS CHARITY INITIATIVE IS ABOUT

THIS IS A REPOST FROM MY FACEBOOK GROUP:
http://ryerson.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2360543937

GREETINGS EVERYONE!

So some of you are wondering what is TRANSFORMING FOR KIDS all about? I want to tell you the short story first and then the longer second story.

THE SHORTER STORY: I like Transformers. I like birthdays. I like movies. I like Transformers movies that are RELEASED on my birthday. I also like non-profit organizations that help Sick Kids that aren't just from the Greater Toronto Area, but also all over the world. That's the short version. So please join this group and if you have the time, read the longer story ;)

THE LONGER STORY: This is for those who may not know me that well (or at all). If you’ve ever met me, upon meeting me, most of you will realize that I'm extremely social, I've got a scar the size of Texas on the right side of my head when I’m sportin’ a new haircut, I’m a total geek and I have a PASSION for all things Transformers. I've joked for quite some time having known of the release date of the Transformers live-action movie being released (July 4th, 2007) on my birthday, where I'd tell people:"I'll be the FIRST in line at Scotiabank Theatre (formerly Paramount) in Toronto, holding my uber-cool Masterpiece Edition Optimus Prime toy, wearing even my equally super-freaking cool Transformers t-shirt, with a grin from ear-to-ear."THE

PURPOSE/IDEA:During Victoria Day (May 21st) while fireworks were going off, like a bolt out of the blue an idea popped into my head. Instead of going out and having fun with my close circle of friends for my birthday and then probably receiving gifts from my friends, I decided why not give and raise money for a worthy cause? I already feel fulfilled materially, I have a great circle of friends and I’m just about done school and I’ve got a bright future ahead.

THE DESIRED OUTCOME:I want to raise at least $5000 in money and toys for the Sick Kids Foundation and to promote awareness of the fun in Transformers for both adults and children alike. I will both be staying up overnight for the duration of the long weekend, selling tickets and administering the auction to reach this target. I will donate everything from donations, the raffle and auctions to the Sick Kids Foundation.

MY REASONS FOR CHOOSING THE SICK KIDS FOUNDATION:For those who may or may not know, at the age of 10, I had been implicated in a bike accident and smashed my head on a sidewalk behind my house after being involved in a local "bike race" of sorts that went awry on my part. Long story short, I had a blood clot on the side of my head and I needed neurosurgery done by Dr. James T. Rutka at Sick Kids, that’s why I have a scar the size of Texas on the right side of my head. Anyways, I remember it being pretty bleak while I was in the hospital waiting for the surgery and consequently recovering after I had the surgery. I didn't really do much besides play with the shitty toys they had there and some Super Mario World that they had available on the Super Nintendo. Not entirely fun. Since I benefited so much from the services and care that Sick Kids provided to me as a child, that’s why I chose this organization.

WHAT I WILL BE DOING:I will be camping out overnight for the upcoming Canada Day Long weekend in front of the Scotiabank Theatre (formerly Paramount) in order to become the first in line for the 12:01 showing of TRANSFORMERS on my birthday, July 4th. If I’m not the first, I’ll try to be charming/convincing enough to be first in line. If that doesn’t happen, I’ll have to physically intimidate people and force my way to the front. If you’re a big burly dude, and since I’m not very tough, I’ll have to send my team of specially trained Transformer bots armed with proton-laser blasters and turn you to a pile of ashes… just kidding ;)Additionally, I’ll be taking items from my personal collection of Transformers memorabilia amongst other geeky stuff, and put them up for auction on eBay. All proceeds will go towards the Sick Kids Foundation.As for the raffle, up for grabs are 7 gift certificates for Chapters-Indigo valued at $20 each and 1 gift certificate valued at $15.69. These gift certificates are mine, but I'm probably not going to put them to much use so I'm putting them up for the raffle. There will be additional raffle prizes added as I search for more sponsors.

HOW CAN YOU DONATE AND QUALIFY FOR THE RAFFLE?I will be selling raffle tickets personally. To qualify for the raffle, I ask that you donate at least $20Every time you donate to me in person or any of my other friends/team members, we will take a picture of you and post it in these forums and on the blog.I will be shortly putting up instructions in discussion area, on how to donate electronically for all of you technologically inclined people. You can either donate via Email Money Transfer or through PayPal if you’re not based in Canada.What YOU can do to help:It would mean a lot to me (and EVEN MORE to the Sick Kids that benefit from the Foundation) if instead of giving something to me for my birthday (for those of you who personally know me), that you donate whatever monetary amount you deem fit to the Sick Kids Foundation or a Transformers toy/any other toy. If donating money isn’t your thing, then I ask you if you have the time, volunteer your time/services to not just the Sick Kids Foundation, but any other organization to add value to society. It’ll be fulfilling and FEEL GOOD… Trust me. :)

PLEASE NOTE: THERE WILL BE AMENDMENTS TO THIS. I'VE NEVER DONE THIS BEFORE SO PLEASE OFFER CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM ONLY. THANKS!

No comments: